[Mageia-dev] references to outside web sites/wiki

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Thu Jan 5 15:54:36 CET 2012

On Wednesday, 4 January 2012 23:56:01 Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 22:36, Johnny A. Solbu <cooker at solbu.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 January 2012 21:06, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> >> wiki.mandriva.com may be shut down for good in just a few days
> >
> > What? Are Mandriva serisouly considering closing down the Wiki?
>
> Mandriva is on the path to filing for bankruptcy on January 16th.

There may be more consequences / preparation than ensuring our web content is
fully independant.

We may need to consider:
1)Prepare for upgrading our servers from Mandiva 2010.x to Mageia (1?).
However, I know for a fact that some packages we have on them are not
available in Mageia yet.

2)Ensuring we are ready for users who are still on Mandriva to migrate to
Mageia. IMHO, this should mean:
-Backports media resolved
-Highlighting documentation on upgrading / switching (e.g. downgrading from
Mandriva 2011 to Mageia 1, even if it is by exporting package leaf list and
backing up /etc, /usr/local/ etc. and re-install keeping /home) such as
http://www.mageia.org/en/1/migrate/ on the Wiki and website/blog post
-Forum section dedicated to assisting users migrating?
-Blog post prepared, something that commenters on various news sites can point
to in replies?
-Possibly considering contacting large mirror sites (e.g. mirrors.kernel.org)
who currently mirror Mandriva, but not Mageia?
-A concerted effort to start producing comprehensive documentation, as soon we
may not be able to point users to online copies of Mandriva documentation

(I personally need to upgrade 3 of my machines and a few machines of
friends/family/colleagues)

Regards,
Buchan