[Mageia-dev] Orphans - those poor orphans . . .

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 6 17:55:42 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Robert Fox at 06/01/12 10:16 did gyre and gimble:
> After latest Cauldron updates, I got a real long list of suggested
> "orphans" - but I believe some of these packages are needed (like hal or
> basesystem-minimal) -
>
> How do I clear out the orphans - like reset the logic behind it so the
> correct packages will be orphaned?  Or is a fresh install in order??

FWIW, as I see some people not liking this feature, personally I don't
use --auto-orphans, but instead use "urpmq --not-available" to find
packages I have installed that are no longer provided by the
repositories. This will typically include old and unneeded library
majors etc. that accumulate after a while.

This list is much clearer in what it actually outputs and is basically
the same as the yum orphan list command (I forget what the command
actually is, but it's what inspired me to write the first version which
in turn was vastly improved by a native implementation by (IIRC) Pascal
Terjan :))