[Mageia-dev] Orphans - those poor orphans . . .

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Fri Jan 6 18:40:25 CET 2012

On Friday 06 January 2012 16:13, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> > The system has to be intelligent enough to know what is or is not an orphan.
>
> It is.

We claim that it is not.

> orphan packages are packages that were never directly requested/installed;
> they're packages that got installed because they were requested or suggested
> by other packages that were explicitely choosed.

Then why does it offer to remove packages that will Break the system, even if the package was never manually requested?

I have experienced this my self, many years ago.
Back when I had MDK 9.1 I was looking for an id3 tag editor, for mp3 tagging. I installed one, tested it uninstalled it and tested a new one untill I found one that suited my needs.
One of the packages i tested, and uninstalled, also wanted to uninstall _All_ of KDE in teh process, claming KDE was no longer required.

Obviously this bug have never really been looked at, or it would have been fixed long ago. Most likely this has not been reported as a bug, or the bug was not correctly resolved, possibly due to inadequate descrition of the bug.

The end result is that many of us handle this feature like the plague; very carefully to avoid destruction.
Many never use this feature, fearing it could destroy the system, prompting a reinstall.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324