[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-Private] Consolidation of the spelling tools in Mageia

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Sun Jan 8 20:01:31 CET 2012

On 08.01.2012 16:19, Luc Menut wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first, sorry to reply so late, and when you have started to update
> hunspell dictionaries packages.
>
> Le 21/12/2011 08:15, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
>> Hello!
> [...]
>>
>> There was a discuss on
>> 1) preparing policies on hunspell-dictionaries
>> 2) deprecate and kill myspell in Mga2
>> 3) changing the default path of dictionaries, from /usr/share/myspell to
>> /usr/share/hunspell (and to keep backward compatibility links in myspell
>> directory)
>> 4) to provide "enchant-dictionary" and "hunspell-dictionary" by every
>> hunspell-dictionary
>>
>> So finally, I've prepared a first version of the policy
>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Hunspell-dictionary_policy
>> If you like, please tell me your comments of it. Is it right? (Also: is
>> the .spec correct?) When everything will be accepted then every
>> hunspell-dictionary will be updated according to the policy.
>
> some comments about the policy:
>
> Version:        1.0
> Release:        %mkrel %{upstream_release}.%{rel}
>
> I don't think it will be possible to use Version 1.0 and upstream
> version only in the release; most hunspell dictionaries already use
> upstream version as version and have a version > 1.0.

Strong +1 from me for not using hardcoded Version 1.0, please instead
use the %upstream_release in Version.

I don't see any reason to break the versioning policy here.

> --
>
> #Mageia values: 1 - aspell, 2 - hunspell, 3 - language specific
> Provides:       enchant-dictionary = 2
> Provides:       hunspell-dictionary
> Provides:       dictionary-%{languagecode}
>
> about the version value of the provides: is the meaning (1 - aspell, 2 -
> hunspell, 3 - language specific) really needed? is it currently used?

The intention was that when a package depended on enchant-dictionary,
urpmi would prefer language specific enchant dictionaries over hunspell
dictionaries over aspell dictionaries when presenting a list for the user.

> Because I think that it could be usefull that the versionned provides
> indicates the location of the dictionary:
> - current enchant-dictionary = 2 ->> /usr/share/dict/mozilla
> - enchant-dictionary from hunspell ->> enchant-dictionary = 4 ->>
> /usr/share/hunspell and /usr/share/myspell,
> - enchant-dictionary from future hunspell without compatibility link in
> /usr/share/myspell ->> enchant-dictionary = 5 ->> /usr/share/hunspell only,
> - ...
>
> (it seems weird for me to use the same "enchant-dictionary = 2"
> versionned provide, both for "deprecated" myspell dictionaries, and new
> hunspell dictionaries.)
>
> if the versionned provides indicates the location, we can use it if
> necessary in Conflicts or Requires in others packages.
> e.g. currently Firefox searches dictionnaries in /usr/share/dict/mozilla
> (myspell dictionaries). when we change this location, we could add a
> Requires enchant-dictionary = 4.

IMO a better way to handle this would be
Provides:	mozilla-dictionary
Provides:	hunspell-dictionary
Provides:	myspell-dictionary

based on which directories are contained in the package, since other
packages are generally interested in whether the package provides
dictionaries in a specific location. (i.e. a package using dictionaries
in /usr/share/hunspell doesn't care if there are some extra dictionaries
provided in other directories).

> same for hunspell-dictionary and dictionary-%{languagecode}, a
> versionned provides could indicate the location of the dictionary.
> if we want to be able to remove easily all the compatibility link in the
> future, we should really consider this.
>

>> PS. The changes of enchant will be proposed or accepted later, Funda has
>> already prepared the package.
>
> new hunspell dictionaries provides enchant-dictionary and obsoletes
> myspell dictionaries, but enchant still can't use the new hunspell
> dictionaries. I think that it should be fixed ASAP, or we will release
> an alpha 3 with broken spelling for lot of languages.
> I propose the attached patches for enchant, so that enchant can use
> dictionaries from /usr/share/hunspell, /usr/share/myspell, and
> /usr/share/dict/ooo.
> Anssi, Kamil, WDYT ?

Seems OK.

--