[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-Private] Consolidation of the spelling tools in Mageia

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Sun Jan 8 21:18:26 CET 2012

W dniu 08.01.2012 15:19, Luc Menut pisze:
> Hello,
Hello Luc, thank you for you mail.

> first, sorry to reply so late, and when you have started to update
> hunspell dictionaries packages.
>
> Le 21/12/2011 08:15, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :
>> Hello!
> [...]
>>
>> There was a discuss on
>> 1) preparing policies on hunspell-dictionaries
>> 2) deprecate and kill myspell in Mga2
>> 3) changing the default path of dictionaries, from /usr/share/myspell to
>> /usr/share/hunspell (and to keep backward compatibility links in myspell
>> directory)
>> 4) to provide "enchant-dictionary" and "hunspell-dictionary" by every
>> hunspell-dictionary
>>
>> So finally, I've prepared a first version of the policy
>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Hunspell-dictionary_policy
>> If you like, please tell me your comments of it. Is it right? (Also: is
>> the .spec correct?) When everything will be accepted then every
>> hunspell-dictionary will be updated according to the policy.
>
> some comments about the policy:
>
> Version:        1.0
> Release:        %mkrel %{upstream_release}.%{rel}
>
> I don't think it will be possible to use Version 1.0 and upstream
> version only in the release; most hunspell dictionaries already use
> upstream version as version and have a version > 1.0.
upstream version != upstream release

We will keep Fedora versioning.

> --
>
> #Mageia values: 1 - aspell, 2 - hunspell, 3 - language specific
> Provides:       enchant-dictionary = 2
> Provides:       hunspell-dictionary
> Provides:       dictionary-%{languagecode}
>
> about the version value of the provides: is the meaning (1 - aspell, 2
> - hunspell, 3 - language specific) really needed? is it currently used?
> Because I think that it could be usefull that the versionned provides
> indicates the location of the dictionary:
> - current enchant-dictionary = 2 ->> /usr/share/dict/mozilla
> - enchant-dictionary from hunspell ->> enchant-dictionary = 4 ->>
> /usr/share/hunspell and /usr/share/myspell,
> - enchant-dictionary from future hunspell without compatibility link
> in /usr/share/myspell ->> enchant-dictionary = 5 ->>
> /usr/share/hunspell only,
> - ...
>
> (it seems weird for me to use the same "enchant-dictionary = 2"
> versionned provide, both for "deprecated" myspell dictionaries, and
> new hunspell dictionaries.)
> if the versionned provides indicates the location, we can use it if
> necessary in Conflicts or Requires in others packages.
> e.g. currently Firefox searches dictionnaries in
> /usr/share/dict/mozilla (myspell dictionaries). when we change this
> location, we could add a Requires enchant-dictionary = 4.
>
> same for hunspell-dictionary and dictionary-%{languagecode}, a
> versionned provides could indicate the location of the dictionary.
> if we want to be able to remove easily all the compatibility link in
> the future, we should really consider this.

If a package requires enchant-dictionary, then language specific will be
chosen before Aspell. This is the whole idea behind it. (eg. Voikko is
chosen before hunspell-fi and aspell-fi too). And I'm against some
special versioning for directories, we don't really need it.

>> PS. The changes of enchant will be proposed or accepted later, Funda has
>> already prepared the package.
>
> new hunspell dictionaries provides enchant-dictionary and obsoletes
> myspell dictionaries, but enchant still can't use the new hunspell
> dictionaries. I think that it should be fixed ASAP, or we will release
> an alpha 3 with broken spelling for lot of languages.
> I propose the attached patches for enchant, so that enchant can use
> dictionaries from /usr/share/hunspell, /usr/share/myspell, and
> /usr/share/dict/ooo.
> Anssi, Kamil, WDYT ?
Yes feel free to fix it. As far as I saw Funda was already working with
enchant disabling Aspell and Myspell.

> same problem with firefox and thunderbird, they use dictionaries from
> /usr/share/dict/mozilla = myspell dictionaries, that are obsoleted.
This must be fixed too - as soon as possible.
> (Will we wait for the complete migration, to release alpha 3 ? )
I won't wait now, we are short on time. I want to finish everything
before the general version freeze.

> CC: Anssi, enchant and thunderbird maintainer
>     dmorgan, firefox maintainer
>

> regards,
> Luc

So finally - I'm focusing right now just on the Hunspell dictionaries
and this is my painstaking job. And then after it or in the same time
there is need to fix the last remaining packages to use Hunspell/Enchant
correctly.