[Mageia-dev] patches overlapping

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 9 14:29:11 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Florent Monnier at 09/01/12 12:54 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> I have a package with 2 patches, each modifying one line that is in the
> context of the other patch. So the second one that is applied is rejected.
>
> I would like to know what is the correct way to handle this?
>
> Should the context of the second one correspond to the modified version by the
> first one?
> (Also using only 2 lines of context instead of 3 lines would resolve it in my
> case.)

They should apply in order. So if the first one changes something that
the second one uses in it's context, the second patch should be updated
to include the changed context.

But better to try and push the changes upstream if at all possible.  If
it's some customisation that we do that isn't relevant for upstream then
it may be easier to combine the patches into one, again only if that's
relevant to do so.