[Mageia-dev] [RFC] Moving various packages/codecs to tainted

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Jan 10 02:12:37 CET 2012

On 01/09/2012 08:06 PM, Frank Griffin wrote:
> The mirror database probably ought to (if it doesn't already) keep
> track of which mirrors supply nonfree and tainted (or better still,
> check at install time), and customize mirror selection based on the
> user's response.
This didn't quite come out as I intended.  The "or better still, check
at install time" bit was meant to include local mirrors that wouldn't be
in the mirror database and which were chosen explicitly in a network or
hard-disk install, i. e. if nonfree and tainted are there, allow the
user to use them.

I was not advocating dynamic checking of every mirror in the database to
see if the database info concerning nonfree and tainted was correct
(although that should probably be done before proceeding to use a mirror
which the database says has these directories just in case it does not).