[Mageia-dev] [RFC] Moving various packages/codecs to tainted

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 10 12:04:57 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and andre999 at 10/01/12 03:12 did gyre and gimble:
> Juan Luis Baptiste a écrit :
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Anssi Hannula<anssi at mageia.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> I'm absolutely fine with either moving codecs to core or tainted, as
>>> long as we are at least somewhat consistent in what is in core and what
>>> is in tainted. However, I do not really like the reasoning "we do it
>>> like mandriva did no matter if it is sensible or not".
>>>
>>> I'd possibly understand "we do it like mandriva did because they didn't
>>> apparently have problems with these pkgs", but it IMHO wouldn't really
>>> fly as we could just s/mandriva/ubuntu/ in that statement (and Ubuntu is
>>> much more prominent than mdv IMO) and then everything would be in
>>> core...
>>>

>> IMHO, for sake's of simplicity and user friendliness, we should leave
>> everything in core until there's a real threat from someone about
>> patents. Surely if it appears some day,  we wouldn't be the first ones
>> to be approached which would leave us plenty of time to correct this
>> issue and move affected packages to tainted.
>>

> I strongly agree with this approach.

I don't. Especially not with this message now in a public forum
admitting that we'd just be sticking our heads in the sand with regards
to this issue.

If any legal action was taken, any efforts to plan for and deal with the
issues involved will be seen as a sign of good faith. This is very much
the opposite and thus would lead to stronger legal action should it ever
come to that.

I really do not get the problem with splitting things out into the
appropriate repos.

The only real question is about whether to enable those repos by default
and include the RPMs.

The split is a purely technical decision that should (in theory at
least) have zero impact on a default install unless we specifically
decide to allow it to.