[Mageia-dev] PHP + phpBB mod capabilities needed to fix bug 1956 - please help

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:54:58 CET 2012

2012/1/11 Marja van Waes <marja11 at xs4all.nl>:
> On 03/01/12 10:09, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

>>> I was more thinking of proper patchs or better, proper modules, with
>>> files to deploy in a well know directory .
>>
>> I only gave a part of an example. MODs are made as enhancement to the
>> standard software. The easiest MOD is like Michael wrote: "a module
>> with files to deploy in a well known directory". But in most cases
>> they consist of files to copy into various directories of the program
>> tree and changes to existing files of the software. There are other
>> MODs which can be implemented automatically - which is far worse IMHO.
>> This is where a modded phpBB3 could turn into a nightmare to maintain
>> - believe me, I've been there :(
>>
>> Of course no developper of a MOD could know what somebody has already
>> done to the standard files, so it's not possible do use only patches.
>> And it could be (and that happens quite often) that a MOD is not
>> compatible to your already "modificated" forum software (destroys
>> other modifications or whatever).
>>
>> IMHO the best way in this case here would be a mod written for our
>> setup, all changes well defined to make it maintainable in a proper
>> way. Saying this I beg to think again whether the issue  justifies all
>> the time and work.
>>
> It would make me very, very happy, does that count a little? If I were sure
> that I'd be able to learn how to do it, I would now consider to halve the
> time I use for the Bug Squad and Doc Team and start learning.

Why? IMHO this complete issue is going out of proportions. Let's
remember why we *seem to need* this MOD in the first place. And what
will we find? The time-to-edit discussion, again. In the council
meeting where it was decided to have this mod It looked as the best
way to please a disturbing minority request, the more as that same
minority gave the impression that such a MOD could be implemented
within a reasonable time span. As we see now after 8 months, this was
never the case.

Adding the fact that a test period of several months with a much
looser time-to-edit setting in the German Mageia forum showed not one
single case of misuse brings me to the conviction that we should
rather rethink the time-to-edit limitation itself than to waste
manpower on this issue. Manpower which is needed at more important
tasks, if I may say.

--
wobo