[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jan 11 19:22:23 CET 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:43:35 -0500
Juan Luis Baptiste <juancho at mageia.org>
wrote:
> > Sure, you cannot be save of regressions, but what makes you think you
> > are smarter than upstream? What makes you so sure that not the one
> > commit you add as a patch to your package is the one that causes the
> > regressions?
> >

> Because as I said earlier, we backport the "commit" that fixes that
> single issue, based on the info found on the bugzilla report of the
> upstream project.

But how do you choose which patches you want to backport from the
stream of bugfixes done by upstream? Should the packager monitor all
bug fixing activity? (sure (s)he *can*, but that's a lot of work)

Just because someone doesn't file a bug against Mageia doesn't mean the
bug doesn't bother anybody, because many users don't report upstream
bugs to the distro's tracker.
(also, other users don't bother reporting bugs at all :-))

Regards

Antoine.