[Mageia-dev] Over-zealous rpmlint policy (rejecting rt)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Thu Jan 12 10:12:04 CET 2012

I am trying to get rt (3.8.11) into the distro (a package that I am using on a
different distro in a production environment), to be followed up with the rt
(4.0.4) I have queued (which I am testing in preparation for upgrading our
production environment).

I would really like to get this package into the distro, but it is being
rejected
(http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/uploads/rejected//cauldron/core/release/20120110140334.buchan.valstar.18287.youri)
due to:

Submission errors, aborting:
- rt-3.8.11-1.mga2.noarch:
 - dir-or-file-in-usr-local /usr/local/lib/rt/plugins
 - dir-or-file-in-usr-local /usr/local/lib/rt
 - dir-or-file-in-usr-local /usr/local/lib/rt/po
 - dir-or-file-in-usr-local /usr/local/lib/rt/lib
 - dir-or-file-in-usr-local /usr/local/etc/rt
 - dir-or-file-in-usr-local /usr/local/lib/rt/html

The documented way for extending RT is by installing files in this location.
We can either:
1)Make it more difficult for users to extend RT with local plugins etc.
2)Fix rpmlint
3)Not have RT

misc, you have experience of both rt and rpmlint, can you provide an opinion?

Would it be possible to separate 'dir-or-file-usr-local' into separate rules
(one for files, one for dirs)? While I agree we shouldn't ship files in
/usr/local, I don't see why we shouldn't ship dirs in /usr/local ...

Regards,
Buchan