[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:03:22 CET 2012

Le 12/01/2012 10:27, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
> Each packager can decide if their upstream package is well-behaved or
> not. Of course, better be conservative and not package bugfix releases
> if you aren't totally confident. Still, some upstream teams *are*
> well-behaved.
Some means actually a very few minority among our thousands packages.
And even when upstream new release is perfectly safe, we're dealing with
binary updates here, meaning we also have to ensure the build
environment is perfectly similar (same compiler and build chain version,
for instance). Even today, when we try to always rebuild everything just
before release, we can't ensure it perfectly. This means there is no 0%
risk situation. Meaning we can never be perfectly confident.

Also, there is a responsability issue. Would you assume providing an
update disclaiming any kind of liability such as "here is a perfectly
safe update from us, but if it ever breaks anything, blame someone else" ?

All of this involves the need of a balance between involved work,
estimated risks, and expected benefits. The first factor being mostly
related to available workforce, you're welcome to join the team to
modify this balance.

--
BOFH excuse #392:

It's union rules. There's nothing we can do about it. Sorry.