[Mageia-dev] Over-zealous rpmlint policy (rejecting rt)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Thu Jan 12 12:39:43 CET 2012

On Thursday, 12 January 2012 11:55:07 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Buchan Milne at 12/01/12 09:12 did gyre and gimble:
> > I don't see why we shouldn't ship dirs in /usr/local ...
>
> I don't really see the point in shipping the dirs personally.
>
> Any separate extension that is packaged should not go into /usr/local
> anyway,

No one ever said they would, you snipped the part of my mail saying that
'locally installed' customisations, IOW, ones not managed by the package
manager etc., go there.

> so these folders are purely for users doing this manually.

Yes. And that's why we provide /usr/local/share/applications?

/me wonders if 'filesystem' would make it through the BS.

> I would expect that the "make install" stage of any extension
> installation would automatically create those folders anyway, so I
> really don't see the benefit of adding these empty folders into a
> package.

So, why would 'make isntall' of rt, which has been configured to itself live
in a system location, explicitly create these directories?

> The gain in doing so seems minimal to the point of useless.

I can remove the dirs in the package, but also, what is the benefit? On a
system dedicated to running a request tracking system, should we explicitly
make it more difficult to run said system that it would be if installed from
source?

> Of course if extensions do not have installer scripts then the user will
> have to create those folders themselves, but if they are following a
> manual recipe anyway, what's an extra mkdir during that process going to
> cost them? Very little IMO.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no experience of rt itself, so I could be missing
> something contextual here.

Well, I haven't myself used extensions that live here, because I have to be
careful not to deliver something one of our vendors is contracted to deliver.
I'll test one on my laptop ...

Regards,
Buchan