[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:00:16 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 21:25, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> PS: Maybe next time you could improve on your wording, the policy may
>> currently be incorrect, not reflecting good packaging practices, but as it's
>> only a policy written by humans, it's not dumb. Just a hint. ;)
>
> No, I disagree. The policy as written is dumb in my opinion. But that
> doesn't mean I consider the people who edited the wiki to be dumb.
> That is a huge difference in my opinion. If I tell someone "Ugh,
> that's an ugly shirt you're wearing today" it is not the same as
> telling the person "you are ugly" - but people on this list do get it
> that way.

Agreed.

Still, let's cut it short and to the point. Can someone rewrite it as
it should be then (adding the missing exception if I understood
correctly)?

By the same time, could the document be written short and straightforward:
 - start the document with the very policy (at this time, it's in the
3rd sub-section);
 - write it in a more assertive way (not "should do" but "does");
 - all other subsections should be there to explain status, context, roles, etc.

> It might be my lack of understanding the English language, but
> "stupid" just is a regular word - it is not like I'd be using
> something like "moth.*ker" here. Also my thesaurus only lists words
> that I consider more harsh (like retarded, brainless,...).

You could have said "misleading", "deceptive", "heartbreaking",
"disheartening", "expectations breaking", "amusingly inaccurate" or
"unusual". The fact is that this policy document starts with a warning
that it is a "first pass" - so it may be improved.

In short: let's behave a bit more like gentlemen this year, shall we? :)