[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Fri Jan 13 09:29:17 CET 2012

On Thursday, 12 January 2012 22:25:51 Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi Florian,

> > PS: Maybe next time you could improve on your wording, the policy may
> > currently be incorrect, not reflecting good packaging practices, but as
> > it's only a policy written by humans, it's not dumb. Just a hint. ;)
>
> No, I disagree. The policy as written is dumb in my opinion.

I wouldn't say it is dumb, I would say it is conservative.

Can you off-hand provide a list of which of our ~10 000 packages have a
'maintained bugfix only branch with regular releases' policy?

I would expect it is less than 5%. Granted, this may include a number of
large/important packages. But, I can also post some counter-examples:
-samba (but, it may be useful to have some not-strictly-bugfix changes, as
some are 'compatability with the new SP of some other popular OS')
-openldap

> If you publish a policy, and the policy is incorrect, the whole
> process of using policies is worthless. So I /have/ to assume that the
> policy reflects the decisions/conclusions from the discussions by
> people running the project.

I think some of the existing policies may have been done in haste. IMHO, there
should be a policy on policies, covering how they are agreed upon, how
amendments are agreed up etc.

> To me it stays a silly/stupid policy.

Please provide a proposal for changes to the policy.

Regards,
Buchan