[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

Luc Menut lmenut at free.fr
Sun Jan 15 01:43:41 CET 2012

Le 13/01/2012 02:22, D.Morgan a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Maarten Vanraes<alien at rmail.be>  wrote:
>> see https://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2012/01/10/delivering-a-mozilla-firefox-
>> extended-support-release/
>> see https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/9/9d/Esr-release-overview.png
>>
>> ESR is a 1y extended supported release...
>>
>> looking at the image we'd be having supported versions for our 9month release
>> schedule every time... we should totally use this release and not go towards
>> FF11 for our release.
>>
>> We've been complaining about the too quick release schedule... this is our
>> chance!
>>
>> ( i think if the FF maintainer wishes, he could also do backports of the
>> regular releases... )
>>
>> i'm hoping everyone agrees? including FF maintainer?
>

> seems we should stuck to FF 10 as default release for mageia2.

I don't have strong opinion about this choice.

some various points that we should take into account:
- I didn't find recent official announcement about ESR for other mozilla
applications (Thunderbird, Seamonkey/Iceape, ...); I think that we
should have consistent versions, at least for Firefox and Thunderbird.
- mozilla updates without security fixes are uncommon, so we will not
reduce the number of update with ESR; the update will only have less
changes, so less risk of regressions.
- If we don't choose Firefox ESR, we should at least consider using ESR
for xulrunner.

--
Luc Menut