[Mageia-dev] Slow gnome-shell due to new cogl/clutter

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Thu Jan 19 13:55:17 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:41:14PM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and JA Magallon at 18/01/12 08:39 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:07:07 +0100
> > Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> Suggest to not restart gnome-shell nor logout until upstream fixed it.
> >> Gnome-shell is unusably slow atm.
> >
> > Too late for me ;)
> >
> > Fallback mode works fine. So log in with 'Traditional Gnome' as a
> > workaround...
>
> Any news on this? I noticed a problem with mutexes but couldn't really
> trace it.

On Tue, learned that Fedora will roll back the cogl. Cogl/clutter
maintainer is looking at gnome-shell, but the changes shouldn't have
affected the module. Or in other words: difficult to investigate.

I haven't followed the discussion yesterday as my machine is unusable
and I already broke my backup machine. I should have IRC logs though.

Note: Didn't see any relevant fix/commit to gnome-shell/mutter.

--
Regards,
Olav