[Mageia-dev] Is mageia a bit slow?

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 13:59:31 CET 2012

Le 19/01/2012 04:00, Donald Stewart a écrit :
>>> Same hard disk, same PC
>>>
>>> spec file almost identical except that I have --with-system-zlib configure
>>> section on Scientific Linux and
>>> Release:       1%{?dist}  instead of Release:       %mkrel 2
>> But the compilation flags are obviously different.
>> (set by rpm-mageia-setup-build on mga)
>> What ar those on the 2 differents OS?
> I cant say how much of a significant baring it will have, but my hdd
> has vastly varying read speeds depending on where the system is. The
> space at the end of the drive is far far slower that the space at the
> start. I guess that this could lead to some discrepancies.
>
> But as others say, the flags are more likely.

On Scientific Linux

gcc -c   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE  -W -Wall -Wno-narrowing -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-format-attribute -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wno-variadic-macros -Wno-overlength-strings
-Wold-style-definition -Wc++-compat   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE -I. -Ibuild -I../../gcc -I../../gcc/build -I../../gcc/../include -I../../gcc/../libcpp/include  -I../../gcc/../libdecnumber -I../../gcc/../libdecnumber/dpd -I../libdecnumber    \
         -o build/print-rtl.o ../../gcc/print-rtl.c

gcc     -->   gcc-4.4.5-6.el6.x86_64
binutils -->  binutils-2.20.51.0.2-5.20.el6.x86_64

For Mageia I ran it on the latest release so you could evaluate that by compiling using my source file from my web site. I didn't make any change to the setup build  except that my directory is  /home/michel/packages

in .rpmbuild on SL6

%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/packages

in .rpmbuild on mageia

%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/packages
%_tmppath %(echo $HOME)/packages/tmp

plus the information on the key

To compile it you need to have mpfr, gmp and mpc installed. Codesourcery, Atmel and Microchip add those with their proprietary versions of gcc but I do not.
I think that they would conflict with the local ones and they make it longer to compile the compiler anyway.

If you get the idea to compile the PIC32 stuff remember that it looks for a particular include file that Microchip didn't bother to have with their source code.
You need to install Microchip's compiler and make a link to the include files

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 17 janv. 23:25 /usr/pic32mx/include -> /opt/microchip/mplabc32/v2.02/pic32mx/include

MIPS and ARM code are not fully tested yet so if you have issues with them feel free to complain to me for fixes. Testing is in progress on ARM version.
As for the MIPS stuff the idea is to get the debugger for PIC32 so for kicks I generated the other binaries.

Michel

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal