[Mageia-dev] Adding a new license to rpmlint

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sat Jan 21 00:36:43 CET 2012

Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> On 20.01.2012 08:07, Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have packaged Warsow[1], which it's engine is open source but as
>> with other games I have packaged, the data files are licensed with a
>> non-free license called "Warsow Content License" [2], which allows
>> unmodified distribution of the data files in different formats like
>> rpm, deb, etc (clause 3). I have imported the warsow and warsow-data
>> packages to subversion but I haven't pushed them to the BS (to
>> nonfree/release of course) because the data package will be rejected
>> because of the license. It's feasible to add this license to rpmlint
>> checks ? the other solution would be to make the game use
>> autodownloader for the data files as I did for other games.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> [1]http://www.warsow.net/
>> [2]http://www.calculate-linux.org/packages/licenses/warsow
>>

> It is a non-free redistributable license and should thus use the
> "Freeware" license tag, see:
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Licensing_policy

Note that the definition given for "Shareware" doesn't seem to include
the usual case where the entire software is distributed for usage for a
limited time.  After paying a fee, the user is given a code which
permits longer-term usage, and often activates additional functions.

So I would suggest changing the wording from :
"Shareware refers to software of which only a subsidiary portion can be
redistributed without charge; access to the complete package requires
payment to the copyright holder or another body."

to :
"Shareware refers to software redistibutable without charge, which
requires payment to the copyright holder or another body in order to use
beyond a trial period and/or to obtain additional functionality."

Does that sound ok ?

--
André