[Mageia-dev] Too many tmp directories

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 23 10:22:24 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 21/01/12 19:39 did gyre and gimble:
> Op zaterdag 21 januari 2012 20:06:54 schreef Colin Guthrie:
>> There are other commands you can use other than mount... e.g. df
>>
>> [colin at jimmy ~]$ df
>> Filesystem                                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> rootfs                                      15G   12G  2.1G  85% /
>> devtmpfs                                   1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /dev
>> tmpfs                                      1.6G  804K  1.6G   1% /dev/shm
>> /dev/mapper/solidstate-slash                15G   12G  2.1G  85% /
>> tmpfs                                      1.6G  3.2M  1.6G   1% /run
>> tmpfs                                      1.6G     0  1.6G   0%
>> /sys/fs/cgroup
>> tmpfs                                      1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /media
>> /dev/mapper/solidstate-home                130G  128G  1.6G  99% /home
>> /dev/sda2                                   85M   47M   34M  59% /boot
>>

>> Generally speaking df is a more useful command than mount IMO anyway,
>> and it's always been the command I use when I'm just wanting a quick
>> overview.
>>
>> Col
>
> but shows / mounted twice, in mga1, the stage1 mounts were not visible, why
> not anymore?

Basically we used to "fake" the mount state with a file in /etc/mtab.
This is now a symlink to /proc/mounts which, IMO is much safer. This is
why the "mount" output has gotten bigger.

As for rootfs staying mounted, I believe this is in some way due to the
ability to re-enter the initrd on shutdown/reboot. This allows for nice
things such as unmounting / and shutting down lvm properly before
poweroff/reboot which was not possible before. So IMO this is an
improvement, albeit I agree it's a bit ugly.

If it's not that, then it's maybe to do with the /dev mount which must
be preserved between initrd and proper / in order to transfer important
udev metadata.