[Mageia-dev] mkinitrd and Mageia2

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 27 15:45:18 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 27/01/12 13:16 did gyre and gimble:
> On 01/27/2012 05:02 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> In dracut, udev is running and critical metadata is saved and
>> preserved for systemd to use later.
> Col,
>
> Just as an aside, does this increased role of udev have anything to do
> with the automount breakage I posted about a few days back ?  From the
> syslog messages in the working case (all hal-related), it occurred to me
> that perhaps hal has been dropped and whatever replaced it is dropping
> the ball.

Well it's complicated. The different DE's do things differently. AFAIK,
GNOME has used udev for a long time, and I had it in my head that KDE
did also, but they are totally separate implementations.

But I do see here, that my USB stick is not showing up in GNOME now.
I'll try later in KDE and try and pinpoint where the weak link is.

The urpmi stuff does still use HAL and should really be ported as HAL
shouldn't be used now (I've got it disabled on all my mga1 machines
anyway as I don't use urpmi+CD/DVD media).