[Mageia-dev] Media mounting broken

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Jan 31 12:52:06 CET 2012

On 01/31/2012 04:33 AM, Robert Fox wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 10:28 +0100, JA Magallón wrote:
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Since some time ago, automounting of media (USB, CD) seems gone nuts.
>> How can I debug this ?
>> First of all, I have udisks2 installed, not udisks, even if the later
>> is also in the repos. I suppose newer version supersedes it, as it is
>> required by gnome-disk-utility (formerly palimpsest).
>>
> I can confirm this under Gnome - but under KDE auto-mounting seems to
> work.
>
> Cheers, R.Fox

There was a discussion about this on the thread "mkinitrd and Mageia2".
As near as I can figure, there used to be something, maybe
GNOME-related, that kicked in for LXDE and GNOME apps run under KDE and
automounted removable disks.  It stopped doing this a week or so ago.

KDE recognizes the volume availability, but does not automount the
volume unless you choose some action from the device notification popup
that it (KDE) realizes requires it, e. g. Dolphin (or maybe Dolphin does
the automount).

The result is that (at least) LXDE and GNOME apps under KDE which
require mounted volumes like brasero or anything under wine no longer
work.  Wine apps stopped working under KDE a while ago, probably for
this reason, and probably because wine doesn't "trigger" whatever GNOME
apps under KDE were triggering.