[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 feature proposals review

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 3 14:47:24 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and nicolas vigier at 03/07/12 12:25 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012, Marcello wrote:
>

>> i've revised all my whish list. if you need more info, my ideas are these:
>>
>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/CheckboxesToChooseDE
>
> "Use checkboxes to choose the DE so it is possible to install more than
> one DE from a DVD edition, without using the custom package selection
> that results far more complicated for newbies"
>
> newbies usually don't want to install more than one DE. And this would
> make the DE selection screen more complicated for people who only want
> one DE.

Is that true? Is there any actual data on that or is it just what you've
noticed over the years? If I'm a newbie, wouldn't I want to try all the
options and see which is best for me? Do I decide that I like KDE better
than GNOME or GNOME better then $whatever before I install to try it?
Wouldn't it be more seasoned users that have already made their choice
that will be more likely to pick only one. Genuine question - it's very
hard to make these things non-subjective :D

One option to make the UI still work nicely would be having each of the
DE's offered have a big, clickable button, but with a checkbox below it.
Clicking on the button would uncheck all other checkboxes and check the
current one and automatically proceed to the next stage. Otherwise,
users can tick the boxes as needed and hit the "Next" button themselves.

Just some idle thoughts :)