[Mageia-dev] UiAbstraction4mcc feature proposal

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 5 10:59:49 CEST 2012

On 28/06/2012 00:02, Angelo Naselli wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm back to this subject, because, as you probably know, the
> proposal[1] has been accepted
<snip>
> and has to be merged with mine[3]
> and discussed a bit to understand what we have to do and who can help.

> [1] https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:UiAbstraction4mcc

> [3] https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:DrakXtoolsReview

Hi,

Documentation team is planning to write the currently missing help for
MCC and all the tools in it. We don't have a clue whether the above
feature proposals, if implemented, will make a difference to what we
have to do, and if so: what difference.

Also, it is interesting to know whether you're willing to improve the
way the help will work if we do it the Mandriva way. It would be great
if the not working links would be fixed, and if it would be possible to
let the help from the menu bar link to the correct file for each screen,
instead of to a page with links you have to choose from. Please read on
to understand what I'm talking about.

If nothing would change to MCC, we would have to provide *html* files
with same names as Mdv used, to be put in the same place and
s/mandriva/mageia/

For Mandriva 2010.1 the following section in MCC, and usually for all
the tools in that section, the help (from the menu bar) links to a page
with links to other pages:

* Software Management ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/software-management.html

(The same page can be seen here
http://doc.mandriva.com/en/2010/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/software-management.html
You can, of course, find the other pages mentioned below by adjusting
this link)

Exception: Software Management - Configure media sources for install and
update ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/software-management-sources.html

* Hardware ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/mcc-hardware.html

Exception: Manage your hardware - Browse and configure hardware ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/harddrake.html

* Network ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/mcc-network.html

* System ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/mcc-system.html

Exception: Administration tools - Manage users on system ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/userdrake.html

* Network Sharing -----X      "No Help entry for"
However, the help is available in
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/mcc-networksharing.html

Exception: Configure Windows(R) shares - Share drives and directories
with Windows (SMB) systems ----->
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/index.html ---- however, this page can
give an error, and the *correct* help file seems to be
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/draksambashare.html

* Local Disks ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/mcc-localdisks.html

Note: Local Disks - Manage disk partitions clicking the help button at
the *bottom* of the screen gives
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/diskdrake.html

* Security ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/mcc-security.html

Exception: Security - Configure system security, permissions and audit:
The two items in the drop-down help menu are greyed out, clicking them
doesn't work

* Boot ----->
/usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Drakxtools-Guide/Drakxtools-Guide.html/mcc-boot.html

Please, when you reply to this mail, keep in mind that I'm not a
developer and not even a packager.

Cheers,
Marja