[Mageia-dev] Last few packages with old udev dep... aka drop chromium-browser-unstable?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 11 10:02:48 CEST 2012

Hi Guys,

There are a couple packages left still needing the old udev library and
I'd like to get them sorted now.

[colin at jimmy ~]$ urpmq --whatrequires lib64udev0 libudev0
chromium-browser-unstable
chromium-browser-unstable
enna
enna
lib64udev0
lib64zypp901
libmyth0.24
libudev0
libzypp901

All the libs can be ignored as they are all no longer needed, so it's
just enna and chromium-browser-unstable.

For enna, it needs fixes for (I think) new GCC or newer libvalhalla, so
it would be great if someone could look at that. I'm not familiar with
the project, but I did find some references that it's more or less
deprecated now (Geebox seems to have switched to xbmc as it's primary
frontend:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/geexbox-devel/VC3WFx2h9ws)

For chromium-browser-unstable I propose we just drop it. We can keep the
-stable chromium named as it is just now although I would personally
prefer to see it just called "chromium-browser" (as no other package has
this strange naming policy and arguably many of them could if we shipped
two versions). I don't see a problem re-introducing an -unstable variant
again in the future, but unless someone is actively maintaining it it's
arguably just getting in the way.

Thoughts?

(CC'ed TV as he has been the most frequent committed to -unstable of late)