[Mageia-dev] Planning the /usr move

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Jul 11 14:39:04 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:52:17PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>  2. Add a patch to RPM that introduces a new check that must pass before
> a given RPM can be installed.
>  3. Create a new "filesystem" build that uses this check.
[..]
> Several other packages will be subsequently broken (some packages ship
> their binaries in /bin but symlink them to /usr/bin  but when /bin is
> itself a symlink to /usr/bin, they package ultimately conflicts with
> itself!). We need to identify such packages and fix them and have them
> ready to go. In order to do the transition correctly, we may need to fix
> them first, build them and then wait until all such packages are fixed,
> THEN update the filesystem rpm and then rebuild all such packages with a
> dep on the filesystem > x package. This might be needed to avoid any
> problems on the build system chroots.

Shouldn't those packages also rely on the new RPM check? Or you mean
just update those packages and don't allow for symlinks between /bin and
/usr/bin (+same for sbin)?

Would the new RPM do a runtime check to see if things have been
migrated?

Does Dracut usrmove handle the packages which at the moment contain
symlinks (e.g. /bin/foo -> /usr/bin/foo and e.g. /usr/bin/bar ->
/bin/bar)? Or should either dracut or the packages have conflicts to
deal with this?

--
Regards,
Olav