[Mageia-dev] Planning the /usr move

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 11 15:10:13 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 11/07/12 12:52 did gyre and gimble:
> In a set of follow up emails I'll post some results from investigations
> of what packages are affected by the change (preliminary checks are
> quite promising in that there are not too many packages that will need
> fixed - IIRC fedora found ~30 packages which isn't too bad).

OK, here are some results from a small script I wrote.

Firstly I ran two commands:

urpmf ^/sbin | sort -u >slash-sbin.txt
urpmf ^/bin | sort -u >slash-bin.txt

Then ran the attached script on each which takes each package name and
tries to find any conflicting files in /usr in other packages.

Here are the results:

/sbin:

alsa-utils:self
bluez:self
davfs2:self
info-install:dpkg
iputils:self
libselinux-utils:self
ncpfs:self
sound-scripts:self
util-linux:self
xfsdump:self
zapata:dahdi-tools

/bin:

coreutils:heimdal-workstation
findutils:self
fuse:self
gawk:self
gettext-base:self
gzip:self
kbd:self
kmod:self
lsb-release:self
open:self
pdksh:self
plymouth:self
procps:self
sound-scripts:self
util-linux:heimdal-login shadow-utils

As you can see the results are quite easy. Most of them "self conflict"
which is a trivial fix in those packages.

The ones that are actually mildly complicated are:

info-install:dpkg
zapata:dahdi-tools
coreutils:heimdal-workstation
util-linux:heimdal-login shadow-utils

The heimdal-login issues should be mostly OK, as the package itself
conflicts with util-linux, but the -workstation provides it's own "su"
in /usr/bin. This is likely to be a problem in itself as I'm not sure
any package can conflict with core-utils!! I don't know anything about
heimdal, so anyone with expertise in the ins and outs of this should
speak up!

The Only other real problem is that we currently use "login" from
shadow-utils (by virtue of it being in /usr/bin) but a /bin/login is
provided by util-linux.

It seems fedora use the util-linux one and remove binaries from
shadow-utils they don't use. If no-one has any strong opinion or
knowledge here I'll just follow that pattern.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=shadow-utils.git;a=blob;f=shadow-utils.spec;hb=HEAD

I've not done checks in the various lib packages (for /lib and /lib64)
but I suspect there will be less complications there anyway and mostly
just self-conflicts.