[Mageia-dev] Upgrading KDE to 4.8.97 (4.9-RC2)?

John Balcaen mikala at mageia.org
Wed Jul 11 23:28:58 CEST 2012

2012/7/11 Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org>:
> Hi mikala and all,

> should we upgrade KDE in Cauldron from KDE-4.8.95 (4.9-RC1) to KDE-4.8.97
> (4.9-RC2)?
>Can I and my apprentices proceed with the upgrade procedure, as I've
> already done it for 4.8.95?
> I should note that I have already submitted kdelibs4-4.4.8.97 (though its build
> should be cancelled) because I was not aware of the proper procedure to follow.
I'm not against upgrading KDE to rc2 as said before for rc1.
I'm not having currently any computer to do the build for cauldron
currently (i hope to receive it this week or eventually next week)
However it seems it was not really done last time (but i was too busy
to send an email but this time your mail is perfect about procedure) i
really prefer to have it first
 committed on svn which means that kde was *already successfully build
 locally (in iurt if possible)  before ever submitting it on svn.
Once everything is  commited on svn, then you send an email on -dev to
(this is what i did before & do later once i'm back on the road) on
-devel to announce that you're going to push kde & another one when
everything is pushed.

To push it on BS i highly suggest to use a stupid but working script
named mgaqueue (available on github & created by mjules).
Pushing part of kde without announcing it at least is not a good idea
(even if for example here kdelibs is supposed to be freeze stable )
because you're going to break kde for users & it is not because it's
cauldron that i (as the kde maintainer ) feel ok to break cauldron's
user box (kdepim/akonadi/nepomuk are already doing enough work for
this).
Ideally (but seems like i'm dreaming) you should also test the
installation locally to detect most of the files conflicts before
submitting to svn.
Regarding your work & your apprentice simplew i suggest that you
rebuild locally (on your computer) thoses package since simplew seems
to use sometimes it owns package & not mageia's one which could cause
some packaging error/issue eventually

As a sidenote i'm of course happy that someone else wants to help on
kde (please note that there's also a lot of bugs regarding kde &
mga1/mga2 where your help is also welcome :p )

--
Balcaen John
Jabber-id: mikala at jabber.littleboboy.net