[Mageia-dev] MGA2 Installer + Bootloader stage issue: initrd regeneration not happening?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jul 16 10:36:52 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olivier Blin at 15/07/12 14:16 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> writes:
>> If we're in the install then plymouth-set-default-theme gets called
>> anyway (without the -R). So to me it seems like this is just a redundant
>> call.
>>
>> The only thing I'd suggest is that we add a -u argument to switch-themes
>> to ensure it calls plymouth-set-default-theme internally.
>
> It seems to be the contrary, switch-themes runs
> plymouth-set-default-theme if no -u is supplied:
>     if [[ -z $update ]]; then
>             /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme $theme
>     fi

Yeah sorry. I wrote that bit of the mail when I was in mid-analysis of
the code, and then realised that the -u argument was not what was wanted
but forgot to remove this section of the mail before sending. D'oh!

>> Although as we should likely try and phase out some of the black magic
>> of these bootsplash scripts, I'd actually rather just do something like
>> this in %post:
>>

>> if [ -f /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia.png -a ! -f
>> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/default.png -o -L
>> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/default.png ]; then
>>   rm -f /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/default.png
>>   ln -s Mageia-Default-1600x1200.png /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/default.png
>> fi
>>
>> rm -f
>> /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia-Default-{0000,0700,1300,1800}.jpg ||:
>> rm -f /usr/share/mga/backgrounds/Mageia.xml ||:
>> rm -f
>> /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/Mandriva-{Free,Flash,One,Powerpack}-{0000,0700,1300,1800}.jpg
>> rm -f /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/Mandriva.xml ||:
>>
>> if [ -z "$DURING_INSTALL" ]; then
>>   if [ -x /usr/share/bootsplash/scripts/switch-themes ]; then
>>     /usr/share/bootsplash/scripts/switch-themes Mageia-Default
>>   fi
>> fi
>> if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash ]; then
>>   perl -pi -e 's/^s*SPLASH=.*/SPLASH=auto/;
>> s/^s*THEME=.*/THEME=Mageia-Default/' /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash
>> fi
>> /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme Mageia-Default
>
> This %post script always looked a bit convoluted to me, couldn't we move
> all this in the switch-themes script?

There is some argument for that but to be honest I'd rather just get rid
of switch themes altogether and use (whenever possible) the upstream
plymouht-set-default-theme script instead. But this is longer term and
cauldron chat - I'm also interested in doing just enough now to get the
package updated in mga2 such that at least net installs work. This means
minimal changes and preferably only to one package!