[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release nsca-2.7.2-7.mga3

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 17 13:00:22 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and D.Morgan at 17/07/12 08:52 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Olivier Thauvin
> <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
>> * Guillaume Rousse (guillomovitch at gmail.com) wrote:

>>> Same as before: you have to write systemd services yourself if the
>>> application doesn't provide one. Being proprietary doesn't change
>>> anything here.
>>
>> I do think a lot of sysadmin will just see their application doesn't
>> works anymore and prefer to switch to another distribution (more
>> enterprise oriented).
>
> initscript are still recognized and will still be by systemd. This is
> just that in mageia 3 we won't support booting with old sysvinit way,
> only with systemd ( that understand and use old sysvinit system when
> files are installed ).

Yup, that's exactly it. initscripts will still work (i.e. we won't
compile systemd without the sysvinit generator), but we should try and
aim to ship native units for everything if at all possible.

In an ideal world we should not ship any initscript with mga3 and only
provide native systemd units. It's maybe too much of a target, but it's
good to aim for all the same!