[Mageia-dev] puppet and the urpmi config

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Jul 18 19:19:45 CEST 2012

* Guillaume Rousse (guillomovitch at gmail.com) wrote:
> Le 18/07/2012 17:39, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
>> * Guillaume Rousse (guillomovitch at gmail.com) wrote:
>>> Le 18/07/2012 14:29, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
>> A real solution would be urpmi make a real difference between
>> configuration and state data.
>> At time it write things in both /etc/urpmi and /var/lib/urpmi, even
>> there is no change real change in urpmi.cfg.
> Right, but that's outside the scope of your problem. And urpmi.cfg is
> the only example of such a scenario. Just imagine managing /etc/passwd,
> for instance.

Indeep for /etc/passwd, but in fact, on RedHat system this is not a
problem since all system users have fixed uidNumber.

The main difference is all ditributions have an /etc/passwd so puppet
have a standard plugin for it, only Mageia (and others Mandriva base)
have an urpmi.cfg.

Yum for instance does not have this issue.

>> Such plugin for puppet must be written in ruby, I haven't plan to learn
>> ruby right now.
> You don't need any plugin to run a grep command, and take a decision
> based on its output status. And if there is some code to write, that
> would rather be an augeas lense to avoid the need of using grep (I've no
> clue about the difficulty, tough).

Puppet have a Yum plugin for instance.

I don't have augeas on all servers we have (I have to support Mdv MES 5 to
Mageia cauldron...).

And finally what you suggest is more or less what I did. Except I did it
for my own need, it has no options (yet).

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS