[Mageia-dev] Fw: ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Jul 23 13:15:10 CEST 2012

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:21:46 +0100
From: Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>
To: Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org>
Subject: Re: [Mageia-dev] ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

'Twas brillig, and Shlomi Fish at 23/07/12 11:08 did gyre and gimble:

>>> This might be to do with how you login. If you don't use a regular
>>> display manager then there may be things that are not hooked up right.
>>> Not sure.
>>
>> I am using kdm (cannot use "startx", though previously pm-suspend worked with
>> startx).
>>

> Replying to myself, I'd like to note that I found a solution to problem #1 and
> to problem #3 in these posts:
>
> * https://listman.redhat.com/archives/pam-list/2001-December/msg00069.html
>
> * http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/pam-authentification-failed-cannot-start-x-server-117935/
>
> What I did was (as root):
>
> # mkdir -p /var/lock/console
> # touch /var/lock/console/shlomif (where "shlomif" is your user name).
>
> This fixed this problem. Since /var/lock was misplaced due to the /usr move
> transition, it was indeed caused by it.

OK, so whatever package ships /var/lock/console folder needs to be
updated to ship a tmpfiles.d conf file to create that folder on boot.

/var/lock should be a symlink to /run/lock and thus reside on tmpfs and
thus the tmpfiles.d file should take care of things for you.