[Mageia-dev] Systemd improvement

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Tue Jul 24 12:18:06 CEST 2012

* Colin Guthrie (mageia at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 24/07/12 10:47 did gyre and gimble:

[...]

> > No you misunderstood, if the system succeed to launch
> > '/usr/bin/ask-the-passphrase' or whatever its name is, it must wait an
> > answer for ever and not continue booting and finally claim "hey
> > surprising, I failed to boot w/o the passphrase".
> > The firest time it happend I really thought my system was broken.
>
> So what if you cannot enter your password and want to rescue the system?
> Should it still wait forever until you enter your passphrase? Or would
> you have to deliberately enter your passphrase wrong X number of times
> to get the the rescue mode?

Why would I be unable to enter my password ? Because I am too drunk ?
Then better to not be able to start the system. Because I forgot it ?
Well then I can reinstall, my data are lost.

Even in rescue mode, I must be able to enter my passphrase, it's a
unrelated issue.

I may point there is a failsafe menu in grub.

> > I don't have nfs in my fstab but maybe this is triggered by another
> > service.
> > But I don't see the point of waiting the card to be on, especially when
> > the card is on it don't connect to any network and don't wait this
> > happend.
>
> Hmm in that case it sounds like a different issue than the deliberate
> stuff that waits for the network to be ready.
>
> Do you know which bit of the system is waiting for this? Is it
> network-up.service or something else? (I doubt it can be network-up as
> this shouldn't delay logins unless the afore mentioned NFS mounts are
> present)

I will investigate, it seems this moring it fetched an ip, but it is not
always the case and the question is what happend when there is no
wireless network reachable.

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS