[Mageia-dev] What to use instead of /dev/usb/lp*

Dan Fandrich dan at coneharvesters.com
Thu Jul 26 07:17:47 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:27:52PM -0700, Jeff Robins wrote:
> I'm not sure if that will work.  CUPS doesn't have a driver for the
> device and it's not really a printer.
> It just uses the USB printer class.  It's used to cut shapes into or
> out of paper.  This includes
> moving the blade up and down.  I looked at the program and I thinks
> its sending G-code, which is
> used for CNC work.

CUPS has a rule to send raw binary data directly to the device without
interpreting it first.  If this device emulates a printer at the USB
level, it ought to work. At worst, you may have to add the -oraw option
or add a rule to /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs to force cups to treat
the data as "raw binary" (instead of text, for example) so it's sent
directly to the printer instead of being rasterized first.

>>> Dan