[Mageia-dev] %_libexecdir - Re: [5228] revert some duplicated manbo stuff (all identical to default but

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 22:33:54 CEST 2012

On 27 July 2012 21:43, Christiaan Welvaart <cjw at daneel.dyndns.org> wrote:
>> This adds 1-3% to each package but it makes us have usefufull traces by
>> default >> (at least with function names)
>> Not as good as having debug packages installed by default, but still
>> better.
>> This is enabled in FC18.
>
> Tough question:
> - Do we have bugs not being solved because the reporter doesn't install
>   debug packages?

We've bugs where people never answer when asked to install those.
There're newbies who fail to install them despite some.
There're quantic bugs that happen to quite some people but are not
easy reproduced so it's too late when people install debug packages
or it won't reproduce in gdb in 20 rounds.
Or if they happen to reproduce a month later, the debug packages are
then too old.

And that was for our C/perl tools.
For C++ stuff, it's worse w/o debug info.

Also, quoting Fedora:
"Install minimal debuginfo by default to increase quality of bug
reports and allow easier support for profiling and user space tracing.
(...)
We get better bug reports by default, even when offline or on a bad
link, without users having to wait while downloading large amounts of
data, or having to send possibly privacy sensitive core information to
anyone. Additionally this will work for all packages built on the
system (not only the official packages, but also site-specific
packages) and will work with or without ABRT (some sites may not want
to send bug reports to ABRT but collect them locally).

It will also make it easier to do things like system wide profiling,
userspace dynamic probes and causual debugging.
(...)
Fedora 18 ships with a small subset of debug information by default.
Full debug information is still available in the debuginfo packages. "

> - Can we spare this space on the DVDs? My guess is no but I don't build
>   (nor use) them.
>
> For cauldron we can expect people to install debug packages when necessary.

Well, see above, in years I've see strange "quantic" bugs that
happened to quite some
people but nearly noone could reproduce which took years to kill bits
by bits in eg: perl.