[Mageia-dev] Video/X/GL/gnome-shell issues?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jul 27 23:39:48 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:49:51AM +0200, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 27 July 2012 02:34, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> > Problems:
> > 1. Cannot skip in mplayer (said to be glibc problem)
>
> It is.
> It first happens when tmb privately offers me to test glibc-2.16.
> Downgrading glibc to 2.14 reliably makes the issue go away.
> Of course, it could be a side effect of the new glibc exposing a
> bug but...
>
> There's nothing interesting in glibc-2.16 branch.
> FC17 works fine with glibc-2.15.

When mplayer hangs while skipping through a video, strace shows:
futex(0x25ec004, FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI_PRIVATE, 17, NULL, 0x25ec9d0

When GNOME shell last hanged the screen completely, strace also had
something like above:
futex(XXXX, FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI_PRIVATE, 17, NULL, XXX

Pretty sure the 17 + FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI_PRIVATE were the same.

Are we missing maybe some glibc patches that Fedora did apply?

Note: I'm wondering if futex is glibc or kernel material. But as I
removed all old kernels, cannot test that theory anyway.
--
Regards,
Olav