[Mageia-dev] ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Jul 30 07:06:34 CEST 2012

Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> OK, so the packages have now all been uploaded.
>
> You should see several packages now that you cannot install on Cauldron.
> This is intended behaviour.
>
> Here is how to update your cauldron systems:
>
>   1. Run "urpmi --auto-update" install everything that can be installed.
>   2. Ensure that latest dracut is installed. Run "urpmi dracut" to make
> sure (it may have been excluded in the --auto-update if it was in a
> transaction with other packages that could not be installed).
>   3. Ensure that you do not have zapata or dpkg installed (rpm -e zapata;
> rpm -e dpkg)
>   4. Generate a new initrd and include the conversion script: dracut -f
> -a convertfs
>   5. If you have /usr on a separate partition
>       - Ensure there is enough free space to hold /bin, /sbin, /lib and
> /lib64 content.
>       - If your /usr is mounted readonly, change your /etc/fstab to mount
> it rw.

Just a random thought.
Is there an easy way to make /bin, /sbin, /lib or /lib64
relocatable in any packages that use them to usr/*,
when a certain flag is set ? (say a certain file in /)

Then when the appropriate conditions are met,
such as /usr on / or dracut installed and /usr with rw permissions, we
could set the flag, and then after progressively migrate the various files.
In this transition we would probably have to put syslinks in the old
locations, etc.

If this works, maybe we could convert many mga2 systems before mga3
release, to minimise any problems ?

Haven't really thought this through, and I haven't been following this
in detail, just something that occured to me.

> All the best and good luck!!!
>
> Col

Regards :)

--