[Mageia-dev] [RFC] remove support for /etc/rpm/macros.d/*.macros

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 31 18:58:21 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and nicolas vigier at 30/07/12 17:39 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
>
>> * nicolas vigier (boklm at mars-attacks.org) wrote:

>>> In a previous mail Colin was suggesting moving all macro files to
>>> /usr/lib/rpm/ instead of /etc/rpm :
>>> http://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-July/017654.html
>>>
>>> I think shipping macro files somewhere in /usr/lib/rpm with users using
>>> files in /etc/rpm to overwrite macros would be nice. Unfortunately this
>>> probably requires an other patch to rpm.
>>>
>>> Maybe a patch to read /usr/lib/rpm/mageia/macros.* could be accepted
>>> upstream ?
>>
>> Ask for /usr/lib/rpm/mageia/*.macros instead !
>
> *.macros would be better than macros.*, but macros.* is more consistent
> with what is already done in /etc/rpm.
>
> In /usr/lib/rpm/* we don't have the problem with *.rpmnew files because
> we don't have to flag them as configuration, as people are not supposed
> to edit them.

Yup, I'd be much more interested in this approach. I can't see upstream
being against such a change. The only issue might be that a file call
macros.foo in /etc tree might have to totally supersede a file called
macros.coo in /usr tree (i.e. the one in /usr would not even be read) If
this was the desired behaviour (and I think it generally should be) then
the patch would obviously be a bit more complex, but again I don't think
this is something upstream would be against in principle and I'm sure a
few of the Redhat guys would agree.