[Mageia-dev] Volunteering to [attempt] packaging.

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sat Jun 2 08:41:40 CEST 2012

Hi Rob,

I'm contacting you in my role as packager mentoring coordinator.
(continued below)

Robert Wood a écrit :
> Following a discussion on the forum, I'd like to volunteer to do some
> packaging.
>
> I develop software [and hardware] for a living, *but* this is little
> embedded programs that work on processors with a few k of RAM and up
> to 256k of flash memory. The up-side to this is that I understand
> programming and much of this is not totally alien to me; the down side
> is there's a fair difference between run-to-complete programs written
> for an ARM or AVR in C and huge program using endless libraries in C++!
>
> So, if someone is willing to work with me and hand-hold me in learning
> the process, it would be great to give something back to the
> community. I am constantly learning new stuff in my job and certainly
> willing and able to learn how to do this.
>
> Rob

Since Mageia 2 is now released, and experienced packagers (potential
mentors) don't have all their free time occupied by the release process,
now is a good time to start the mentoring process.

The first step is to get a Mageia Identity from
http://identity.mageia.org/, if you haven't already done so.  (This is
used for virtually all interaction on Mageia.)

The next step is, ideally, to post your information at
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager#Packaging_apprentice_candidates.
Potential mentors can then refer to this list to find the most
appropriate apprentices.
If you like, I can do that for you -- just let me know your Mageia Id.
(I'll use the info in your post)

Also it is very useful to hang out IRC (freenode #mageia-mentoring -or-
#mageia-dev),
as well as posting to the mageia-dev list as you did.

In the next day or so I will be putting my regular post on the -dev
list, of potential packagers looking for a mentor.  I'd like to have
your name on it.

Regards :)

--
André