[Mageia-dev] GNOME plans

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Jun 4 20:49:52 CEST 2012

04.06.2012 20:32, Olav Vitters skrev:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 05:51:11PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

> - Please change your wording. You have zero say in what goes on at
>   gnome.org, nor about me. If you start by telling me what I must and
>   must not do, it is better to not respond.

Neither can gnome.org dictate what distros do, only suggest.

> - I clearly stated freedesktop.org standards

Yes, standards is good as long as they actully are followed,
wich is not always the case, but this is getting better...

> - Maybe to clarify my point: When using GNOME, there should not be any
>   need to resort to a distro specific configuration tool. E.g. xorg
>   should be setup automatically, not require any distro assistance. It
>   is long term and difficult.

Well, the power and usability of DE agnostic control center is _way_
better than what the DE integrated ones can offer for systemwide settings.

Think of giving support: Instead of having first having to ask for what
DE, and then have to to tell the user the DE-specific way of changing
it, support can simply say open mcc, do this, then that, then...
and you are done.

But yes, integration between tools, and getting more stuff to
work automatically is WIP, not something that changes over night.

Not to mention pretty much every review out there lists mcc as one
of the strong points, so it's also clear that endusers want it...

--

Thomas