[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 specifications

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Wed Jun 6 02:32:32 CEST 2012

On 06/06/2012 02:26 AM, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:41:15 -0400, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
>
>> But ideally it would be nice if there was only one way to setup a
>> network.. and for me that means NetworkManager :). But drakxtools was
>> more advanced IIRC, so first NetworkManager needs to get more advanced,
>> more documentation, etc.
>
> If networkmanager can be installed without having to install half of
> gnome, and adds things like text only interfaces, then having it
> replace drakx-net makes sense to me.
>
> If a non-gui minimall install can not be done, simply because it requires
> gnome, then it can't replace drakx-net, in my opinion.

This is like MCC and GNOME CC, network-manager is just a CLI tool,
you have a Gnome tool to feed it and you can also make drakx-net feed
NM with connection description files.

Anyways, there is a point with NM that I find also useful, it can configure
wifi interfaces at the user level, no need to store them in system
hierarchy. drakx-* are more system-oriented. Think in shared laptops over
enterprise wifis...

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>        \               Winter is coming...