[Mageia-dev] #2317: --update option should behave like --search-media <list of the update media>

Claire Robinson eeeemail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:11:06 CEST 2012

On 07/06/12 15:13, nicolas vigier wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012, Anne Nicolas wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> This bug has been raised during last packagers meeting. This has been a big
>> discussion since ages now. And dealing specifically with Mageia, it's
>> causing lots of troubles also in QA team.
>>
>> After discussions yesterday evening, it seems solutions do exist. But still
>> it needs some volunteers to work on.
>
> Main concern seems to be that it could make MageiaUpdate very slow. So
> what is needed is a patch to make MageiaUpdate use only update medias
> when searching for new updates, but all medias when installing. And some
> tests to compare speed before and after applying patch, to check if it
> is still acceptable.

I know everybody is concentrating on backports at the moment but it is
really important that this bug is fixed now. Backports could easily
provide further scenarios where this bug could strike, we already
discovered during ISO testing that it also affects upgrades.

Backports will be very difficult for QA to manage without this being
fixed first. It has been difficult for QA to try and workaround this bug
for so long, the main reason it has been left is that we have been
mostly successful so far.

We have a few new members in the QA team now who we are beginning to
mentor until they find their feet. It seems a bit silly to have to
create a wiki page explaining the need to work around a year old bug.

Please please please can we fix this.

Many thanks!
Claire