[Mageia-dev] Backports policy clarification (and discussion)

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Fri Jun 8 20:38:43 CEST 2012

Le vendredi 8 juin 2012 20:20:54, David W. Hodgins a écrit :
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:22:41 -0400, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net>
wrote:
> > I think you missed my point. If Mageia 1 "backports" has higher versions
> > than Mageia 2 "release" (not backports), upgrade can fail because
> > currently our tools do not take backports from the target release
> > (mageia 2) into account when upgrading a distro.
>
> In the upgrade from Mandriva 2010.2 to Mageia 1, it was made clear, that
> upgrading from a system with 2010.2 Backports was not supported.  It may
> work, but was not recommended.
>
> I think we should keep the same policy for the upgrade from Mageia 1 to 2.
> I.E.  Don't use backports if you are planning on later doing an upgrade,
> rather then a clean install.
>
> That way, Mageia 1 users who want firefox 13 can get it, without us having
> to replace the Mageia 2 iso images with an upgraded installer, that will
> keep backports enabled for 2, if it was enabled for 1.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Again, this is not the policy we adopted. When we defined the backports policy
(together, although it seems most people are just discovering it now) we said
that we didn't want to have backports that don't work, break a system, or
prevent upgrade.

However, I think that for DVD upgrade without internet access this is a
sensible option. But the upgrader should detect the situation itself, not hope
that the user will read somewhere in the release notes that it's not
supported.

And there should be a way for those who have internet access to upgrade online
*with* backports too.

Samuel