[Mageia-dev] Feature:DrakXtoolsReview

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Wed Jun 13 15:42:43 CEST 2012

On Monday 11 June 2012 10:58, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> See
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:DrakXtoolsReview

The suggestion to port the drakx tools it to QT have one implication with blind users which needs consideration.
I have a blind friend which uses a braille to navigate a computer. Currently there is no support for QT applications when using brltty. Whenever he encounters a QT program, the braille does not report any output from the QT application. It's as if there is nothing in the porgram and it's just a big, empty, useless popup box. When I mention to him that I found this or that program that does X, the first thing he ask if he's interested in the program is whether it's GTK or QT.

So there should at least be a coexistence with the GTK version. Braille users need to be able to chose the GTQ version of drakxtools. Perhaps the installer should prefer the GTK version over QT if it detects a braille.

If we switch to QT and drop the GTK version, blind users will not be able to use the GUI drak tools.
I know it's a long way untill this switch is beeing made, if it does, but this should be considered when making the decition.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324