[Mageia-dev] Proposed Feature:Backports_update_applet

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 09:29:48 CEST 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 01:07:20 -0400, andre999 <andre999mga at laposte.net> wrote:

> If the fact it is a backport is ignored, then every backport would be,
> by definition, an update.  Even packages newly imported to Mageia.

It depends on whether the user has set the backport repsository
as an update repository, or not.

> Backports are considered separately because they are much more at risk
> to not function properly, since they weren't tested with the rest of the
> release, being added afterwards.  So we have to be much more careful

Thats why qa will be testing backports, to ensure they install cleanly, and
the main features work.  As a qa member, I will not validate a backport that
either requires --allow-force, or that doesn't at least run.

Regards, Dave Hodgins