[Mageia-dev] packaging amrwb ?

Simple w simplew8 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:45:44 CEST 2012

2012/6/20 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>:
> Am 20.06.2012 12:45, schrieb Simple w:
>
>> about faac was already discussed, but i dont understand why amrwb
>> wasnt packaged so that apps can be build against it, it exists in svn,
>> could anyone please clarify?
>>
>> I see that amrwd doesnt have the same problems that faac has, so it
>> could easily go to the non-free repository since its under a
>> commercial license.
>
> According to wikipedia it's patented as well. So it's the same issue.

Appears to be different from faac case, because this one doesnt have a
GPL license, so it could be in non-free repository.
This is whats in COPYING:

The 3GPP TS 26.204 V 10.0.0 reference code has a commercial license.

To use package compiled by this code, you may need a license from
3GPP/Via Licensing.

The wrapper code is released under BSD-3 style license:

Copyright (c) 2012, Stanislav Brabec
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

* Neither the name of the Novell nor the names of its contributors may be
used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
specific prior written permission.