[Mageia-dev] packaging amrwb ?

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:11:54 CEST 2012

Am 20.06.2012 14:54, schrieb Guillaume Rousse:
> Le 20/06/2012 14:26, Oliver Burger a écrit :
>> Am 20.06.2012 14:15, schrieb Claire Robinson:
>>> I don't want to add fuel to the fire but just out of interest, why is it
>>> that we don't allow nonfree-tainted in Tainted?
>>>
>>> I understand that open source purists may not want it but are we
>>> catering to a minority and ignoring a majority?
>> Well, above all we are an OpenSource project and one of our most central
>> values being an OpenSource project is promoting OpenSource software.
> I wonder why you can tolerate stuff as 'automatic skype downloader' or
> its flash equivalent being in the distribution then.
>
> This kind of code need constant efforts on packager side to keep them
> up-to-date, whereas even the most clueless end user could easily
> download and install it manually. The ratio between the developper time
> spent and the added value for end user is quite low.
>
> On the other hand, this codec issue is totally obscure for any end user,
> and the skills needed to rebuild the whole software chain is way out of
> scope for the average mageia target population.
>
> So, it would be far more consistent to either follow the debian way of
> life, and get rid of flash and skype downloaders, or to make life easier
> for end-users, just by adding this miserable faac package in less
> problematic repository.
Actiually we have two repos containing free software (core and tainted)
and one repo conatining nonfree software.
We have two repos not tainted by patents (core and nonfree) and one
other (tainted).
So either we redefine something about our repos or we add a fourth one
or we don't build that kind of software.

Oliver

--
Oliver Burger aka obgr_seneca

Mageia contributor