[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Claire Robinson eeeemail at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:01:51 CEST 2012

> since QA is waiting for a fix for this for a long time (pre-mga1), we
> should get this fixed asap.
>
> PS: since we're enabling backports, we should make sure that the update
> validation process would have one of both required tests for validation
> with backports enabled and the other disabled.

We very much appreciate the work being done on this now. It is vital
that this be fixed with backports opening. I know you have been a hero
in this respect so the last thing I want to do is prevent progress.

This is not a good solution, sorry. If QA has to test every update twice
(with and without backports enabled) it literally doubles our already
doubled workload overnight.

It is doubled now because we have two releases and most updates include
both. It will be effectively quadrupled with this plan and that would be
unsustainable. We just don't have the manpower or enough hours in a day,
we are struggling to cope as it is.

Two people have tested simply enabling Release media as update media and
not really noticed any drop in performance. I don't know what the
implications are for memory footprint though. It could be one simple
solution though perhaps, to enable them as updates by default, if the
complexity of others if prohibitive.

Claire