[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Sander Lepik sander.lepik at eesti.ee
Fri Jun 22 10:50:45 CEST 2012

22.06.2012 00:01, AL13N kirjutas:
> Op donderdag 21 juni 2012 22:21:52 schreef Sander Lepik:
>> On Jun 21, 2012 9:10 PM, "AL13N" <alien at rmail.be>
>>
>>> so, there's 2 options:
>>>
>>> - testing i586 with backports enabled
>>> - testing x86_64 without backports enabled
>>>
>>> this is still 2 tests, and this is sufficient.
>> Are you serious?
>> I've seen bugs were i586 and x86_64 doesn't work quite the same. Every arch
>> + repo must be tested separately (be it tainted or release, i'm still not
>> mixing backports with updates ... until you promise to do all the testing
>> here and not bother QA;)).
> I see...
>
> however, as long as backports is installed, it could still be that due to an
> update a new dependency from release is pulled, which could conflict (or not
> work correctly) with some of the installed backports.
Like has been said for many times now, you should not backport such packages.
And about the conflicting part - well, at that point you are already on your own, at least
as i see it. Backports can break updating/upgrading, we can't avoid that (and for the same
reason backports should be cherry-picked, so you get as little trouble as possible). The
best you can do at that point is to submit a bug about broken update and maybe (just maybe)
we can submit the updated package that needs those new deps into backports too - so you can
pull it from there and get over the update problem. But this should be a rare case anyway.
> D. not supporting backports
>
> for update validation of package X (let's call it update A2):
> 1. testing combination: A,C,E for arch i586
> 2. testing combination: A,C,E for arch x86_64
>
> for backport validation of package X (let's call it backport B2):
> No testing
>
> Validations required: 2 for each update
> => this is how it is now
And for updates it should stay like that.

--
Sander