[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Sander Lepik sander.lepik at eesti.ee
Fri Jun 22 14:00:14 CEST 2012

22.06.2012 13:20, AL13N kirjutas:
>> And about the conflicting part - well, at that point you are already on
>> your own, at least
>> as i see it. Backports can break updating/upgrading, we can't avoid that
>> (and for the same
>> reason backports should be cherry-picked, so you get as little trouble as
>> possible). The
>> best you can do at that point is to submit a bug about broken update and
>> maybe (just maybe)
>> we can submit the updated package that needs those new deps into backports
>> too - so you can
>> pull it from there and get over the update problem. But this should be a
>> rare case anyway.
> Breaking updates because we try to support backports is not something that
> i wish to have, no matter how rare the case.
Sorry to disappoint you, but this is something you can't avoid. And for that reason
backports are not enabled by default ;)
> And your solution wouldn't work, except for backporting the update and
> having the user manually try to use the backported version for that too...
Yes, you are finally starting to get my point. User has to manually fix those problems with
backports and there is nothing we can do about it (at least it won't be easy).

--
Sander